Speed Dating Event
This year's Speed Dating event will be held on Wednesday 14 September 2016 at Otago Polytechnic.
The Speed Dating event is a simple way for students to meet business people face-to-face to see if your skills match their business needs. You will make appointments online to meet with business people at the event for seven-minute interviews. This is an opportunity to get some valuable work experience - your goal is to get a second appointment with a potential employer.
Come prepared to impress employers. You can view the businesses who are attending the event under Who's Looking. Business people don't appreciate time wasters, as their time is valuable. Please book interviews only with businesses where there is a good chance that your skills will match their needs. Choose carefully and limit your interview appointments to four businesses in total.
There's no guarantee that a business will need your skills at this time, but it is a good way for you to meet members of the Dunedin business community.
Wednesday 14 September 2016
On-line bookings for interviews will close at 12 noon on Wednesday 14 September.
Otago Polytechnic, H Block, corner of Union and Forth Street http://www.op.ac.nz/students/campuses/dunedin/map/
5.30 pm - Event Start Time
Students arrive and are welcomed by staff from the Otago Polytechnic and the University of Otago
6.00 pm - Interview Start Time
Seven-minute interviews with businesses begin
7.00 pm - Break
Interviews cease for 20 minutes
8.30 pm - Event Concludes
What to expect
- A buzzer will sound every seven minutes and you will move to your next appointment. It is important to make sure that people have an opportunity to speak to each other, so please move on when you hear the buzzer.
- Business people will contact you if they want to discuss an internship opportunity with you further.
- The media may be at the event and may ask people for a comment.
- A photographer will be taking photos of the event. If they approach you, they will ask you to sign a talent release form to enable any photos taken to be used for promotional purposes. If you do not want your photo taken, please let them know if/when they approach you.
For questions about the event, please email:
Rob Broadley [email protected]
How to prepare
- Get a Linkedin profile.
- Research the companies that are coming to the Sexy Summer Jobs Speed Dating Event.
- Bring something to make notes with.
- Bring a one page overview of your skills, talents and contact details.
- Be prepared to talk about what you can offer the employer and why you are really keen to work with their business.
- You want businesses people to remember you after the event. It is a good idea to include a photo of yourself in your one page overview.
- Smile, greet the interviewer and relax. You are selling yourself, so don’t be shy. Business people are there because they want to meet you.
- Have fun and enjoy yourself!