What is SSJ?
It's is a paid internship programme for Dunedin businesses and tertiary students.
The programme aims to retain skills and talent in Dunedin by helping the city's businesses find tertiary students to meet their business needs.
The programme gives students the chance to meet with Dunedin businesses to discuss internship opportunities that align with their abilities.
Interns from the current intake tell us that the top benefits of completing an SSJ internship are:
- Building relationships with business people and industry experts
- Working with experienced teams and adding value to a business
You may have the right skills, talents and attitude to land a great internship with an innovative business – Dunedin's business people are keen to meet you.
- Your safety and wellbeing is a top priority. If you are unsure about anything related to your internship, or are feeling unsafe, please contact your tertiary provider on the details provided below. If you wish, you can also contact Chanel O’Brien, Enterprise Dunedin at [email protected] or 03 4743736 to discuss any concerns.
- If you are a University of Otago student please contact The Manager, Career Development Centre at [email protected] or 03 479 8243.
- If you are an Otago Polytechnic student please contact The Manager, Student Success at [email protected] or 021735100.
Tertiary students at any stage of their study can apply for an internship through the programme, provided that they are currently enrolled with a Dunedin-based tertiary institution.
International students studying at a Dunedin-based tertiary institution are eligible to take part in the programme if:
- They can demonstrate that they are allowed to work in New Zealand (check with Immigration New Zealand on http://www.immigration.govt.nz/)
- They are able to speak, read, write and understand English (IELTS 6.0 or above)
The programme gives tertiary students the opportunity to gain valuable work experience with innovative Dunedin businesses who are developing cutting edge products and services.
- Interns are paid for their work
- Interns gain experience in a real-world environment
- One in two interns are offered a position with the business after their internship
Feedback from past interns
“ I got my dream job at Education Perfect! It was an extremely fun, stress-free and educational experience.”
Alex Poulin, Education Perfect Ltd
“The internship enhanced my competence in the area of meat science, further exposing me to other related areas in agriculture and farming.”
Jonathan Chuah, Research Assistant, AbacusBio Ltd
“Real world experience, a chance at full-time employment and an opportunity to learn from experts.”
Jan-Dawid Roodt, MixBit Ltd
Find out about Dunedin businesses
Join Growing Dunedin’s Economy on Linkedin
Join Dunedin Young Professionals. For information check http://www.dyp.co.nz/about
Each year, the programme holds a Speed Interview event, where business people talk with students about their business needs and students tell businesses about their skills.
Come prepared to impress employers at the Speed Interview event in September. You can view the businesses who are attending the event under Who's Looking.
Business people don't appreciate time wasters, as their time is valuable. Please book interviews only with businesses where there is a good chance that your skills will match their needs. Choose carefully and limit your interview appointments to four businesses in total.
If the business person would like to discuss an internship opportunity with you, they may ask you to visit their business after the Speed Interview event, to discuss this opportunity.